The Media Watch on Climate Change aggregates, annotates, and visualizes environmental articles from 150 Anglo-American news media sites. From 300,000 news media articles gathered in weekly intervals, the system selects, annotates and indexes about 10,000 articles focusing on environmental issues, before storing them in a central knowledge repository, which can be navigated along multiple dimensions like time, topics, keywords, and geographic proximity.
The IDIOM Media Watch builds upon webLyzard a large-scale Web assessment and monitoring framework mirroring thousands of pages in daily, weekly and monthly intervals. webLyzard’s database comprises millions of documents, annotations and pictures stored in a PostgreSQL database.
Currently providing up to data backups of these databases is a challenging task. Due to their extend full database dumps are no longer applicable and backups using LVM-snapshots and WAL logs are very bandwidth, time and storage intensive, especially if transferred to other hosts and storage media.
The goal of this thesis is to provide a scalable incremental backup solution for large PostgreSQL databases, minimizing backup time, and storage requirements.
The goals of this thesis are
- overview: use of databases in data mining, e-marketing and information retrieval
- literature and web research evaluating:
- database backup strategies (abstract techniques; platform independent)
- implementations of such strategies
- traditional approaches (database dumps, LVM-snapshots + WAL logs, etc.)
- open source solutions (mysql, postgresql, …)
- techniques present in commercial solutions (e.g. oracle & co)
- requirement definition for an incremental backup
- design & implementation of an incremental backup tool for postgresql
- testing / evaluation
- outlook and conclusions
- Postgresql Documentation - Backup and Restore
- Postgresql homepage | Table Partitioning | Server Programming
- Create a Partitioned Table In PostgreSQL
- Noyer, Ulf and Ruschinzik, Martin and Rataj, Jürgen (2007). Teile und herrsche - Tabellenpartitionierung in PostgreSQL, iX - Magazin für Professionelle Informationstechnik, April 2007, pages 141–143
- Milen Kulev and Peter Welker (2007). Data Warehouses & Open-Source-Datenbanken, Datenbank-Spektrum, dpunkt.verlag, pages 25–36, 7(22)