- the extraction of relations and
- the process of learning textual patterns modeling these relations (e.g. X is one of the PLURAL-NOUN in Y)
The described approach applies the following steps:
- word sense disambiguation
- pattern extraction based on existing relations in WordNet
- pattern generalization of the patterns retrieved in the step above
- identification of new relations
The authors show that the precision of the generated patterns is similar to patterns written by hand.
- implement a simple vector-space-based component for word sense disambiguation
- extract lexical patterns from a corpus based on known relations
- implement an algorithm for generalizing these patterns
- test these pattern on the corpus for identifying new relations.
- Ruiz-Casado, Maria, Alfonseca, Enrique and Castells, Pablo (2007). Automatising the learning of lexical patterns: An application to the enrichment of WordNet by extracting semantic relationships from Wikipedia, Data \& Knowledge Engineering, pages 484 - 499, 61(3)
- Hearst, Marti A. (1992). Automatic Acquisition of Hyponyms from Large Text Corpora, Proceedings of the Fourteenth International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING’92), pages 539–545
- Fellbaum, C. (1998). WordNet - An Electronic Lexical Database, Computational Linguistics, pages 292–296, 25(2)